Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Outdoor School Day

Last Tuesday we found out we had to, unexpectedly, be out of the apartment we are currently staying in for a few hours. I was a bit discouraged at first. It was our second day trying to get back into the groove with school after taking a week off and I hated for my plans to be disrupted. As we rushed around getting things straightened up before leaving so work could be done, it suddenly came to me that everything I had planned for the two hours we had to be out of the apartment could be done outside. The weather was still amazing and I decided we should definitely take advantage of that. After quickly cleaning up, I packed a couple of bags so we could finish our school work as well as eat a little lunch before heading to my sister's to pick her up for a doctor's appointment. That little interruption ended up being one of the best things that happened that week. What a great morning we had!


Isn't this the coolest bench?!?




We were talking a bit about the Boston Tea party, Paul Revere and wrapping up the Pilgrims and the First Thanksgiving.



Fun geography trivia game...when we could convince Kate to give us a turn with the die. :)



A man and his wife we at the park the entire time we were. At one point, he left the bench where they were chatting and brought over four nickels and encouraged each of us to toss one into the fountain while making a wish. The kids were thrilled and his thoughtfulness stuck with me throughout the day.









I cannot fully explain how excited Isabelle and Kate were to be outside running through the leaves. The picture above captures it a bit, even if it is a bit blurry.



Isaac was inspired to draw a few fountain designs he had rattling around in his head.


2 comments:

  1. What a great day! Katie's smile in the first picture made me laugh out loud. I am so glad all the kids were able to make a wish, while experiencing the generosity of others at the same time. A good life lesson that only cost 20 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the coolest bench!! You are right.
    I love the story about the man sharing the coins for the fountain. I'm glad you shared that. Kindness of strangers is awesome-
    The girls and the leaves made me smile and Isaac with his fountain designs- I love that!

    ReplyDelete