Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Joys and Pain of this World

I am standing at the island in my kitchen listening to the happy sounds of my children as they eat their lunch. My heart is full and overflowing with emotions. I can't seem to stop the tears from running down my face. I am praying that this post with be cathartic and that once the typing begins, the tears will stop and my children will not be concerned as to why their mom is crying. The subject is heavy and if I am struggling with it, I am sure that they would not know what to do with these weighty thoughts.

On one end of the spectrum I have nervous excitement as my cousin and his wife are expecting their second child. I am thrilled for them, but can only imagine that they are somewhat tentative with their celebrations. Several years ago, shortly after birth, their son was diagnosed with Moebius syndrome and their lives were irrevocably changed. Their dreams didn't end, but I am certain that they changed. Reality is so much different than they thought it would be. They now have been blessed again and will add another baby to their lives. This is the positive note that started my day. Lord, please bring them to mind frequently over the coming months. Draw them to you Lord.

Excitement for a new life...what a wonderful thing.

This afternoon as I opened my computer to catch up on some email I was greeted with a different sort of story. A couple that Dean went to college with have had months full of heartache. Just over a year ago they gave birth to two beautiful little girls. Unfortunately, one of the girls suffered brain damage to every area of her brain except for her brain stem just before birth. Each time I have read an update my heart has ached for this family. I remember mom and dad as young, carefree college students. Life wasn't better for them then, necessarily, just simpler and filled with less heartache. Today I read that their sweet little girl will only be with them for a few more days. Several days ago she developed pneumonia and it seems that her broken little body won't be able to survive this set back. Hospice has been called in and prayers are lifted up that she will be comfortable and she waits to run into her Father's arms.

For these reasons, my heart has felt a range of emotions today and for both of these families I have shed tears. One set of tears were joyful and one set were filled with pain. I am not attempting to make the joy and the pain of these families my own. I would not dare to be so arrogant as to presume that I could fully understand the intricacies of their situations. I only know that I want to preserve their stories, the little that I know of them. I only know that I want to be reminded to lift them up in my prayers on a regular basis, that they would know that they have people who love them and are thinking of them and are speaking their names aloud to our sovereign Lord.

6 comments:

  1. So thankful for Our God of comfort. 2Corin.1:5b through Christ our comfort overflows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very, very thankful! I love that whole section of scripture and have posted in below. I pray especially for the couple that Dean went to school with that they can look at their troubles in the manner of verses 4 and 5. Thanks Amy!


    3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. 6If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
    8We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. 9Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our[a] behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I didn't know that our cousin's were expecting. My heart is so excited for them, but hurts for them too as I am sure they have so many feelings and thoughts to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think it's important to feel the sufferings of others as much as we can, rather than whitewash over them or ignore them in favor of a more emotionally-peaceful moment. I am sure that even though you can't know exactly what they are feeling, the fact that you are impacted by their lives and are lifting their names up to the Lord is incredibly valuable. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me cry. Thank you for sharing these verses...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Prisca. You are welcome. Steph, I can imagine that tears did fall. I thought of you as well when I read these verses. Love you!

    ReplyDelete