Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Didn't Realize That "Country" Living Could Be So Dangerous...

Over the last few weeks we have had some interesting experiences. We are hoping that you will still come for dinner or to visit after reading this post. :)

We have had a couple of garter snakes frequenting our flower beds this year and the kids have really enjoyed watching them sun themselves. Kate is especially enamored. However, the beauty above is absolutely not welcome and was fortunately not discovered by any of the children. Dean was heading out the door one Saturday and happened to look to the side of our front porch, in the flower beds and came running inside yelling that there was a copperhead. He retrieved the appropriate equipment and took care of this unwelcome visitor rather quickly. Copperheads, please find some other place to sun yourself!!!

On top of the copperhead situation, we have had visits from several queen yellow jackets. Unfortunately, they have not been visiting us outside, but have been visiting us in our basement. They are much larger than they appear (says the woman who is absolutely terrified of them even though she knows that it is not logical or appropriate to be this afraid of a small, flying insect) and have wreaked havoc with my laundry schedule. A wonderful man came out this week and explained the problem and how these 8-10 yellow jackets made it into our basement and I am thankful all is cleared up and they will no longer be invading my home.

No more unwelcome creatures please!!

2 comments:

  1. Eeek!! Scary!! Not sure I'll be visiting you this summer. And, if I do, I'll stay inside, thank you very much. And, I guess I'll have to stay on the main level since you have critters in the basement too. Yikes!! Glad you got the yellow jacket issue taken care of. Why is it that we are terrified of something so small?!?! Although, since they don't lose their stingers and can sting multiple times, that doesn't sound enjoyable at all!! Be careful out there, country girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary!!! We were just part of a 5' water moccassin (sp) killing here. Eeeekkkk! It was very scary. I feel for you. That snake looks way, way too big to be by your home. Wow. Go Dean the mighty snake hunter. :-)

    ReplyDelete